Research and Learning
These resources are accessible from anywhere with your library card.
E-Resources for Elementary & Middle School Students
E-Resources for High School Students
- Hoopla – streaming movies, music, and TV with no holds and no waiting
- Biography Reference Center – 460,000 biographies
Books and Reading
- BookLetters – email newsletters with book recommendations
- Drama Online – read hundreds of plays from leading playwrights or listen to professionally acted classics, prize winners, and iconic literary works
- Literary Reference Center – critical essays and author biographies
- NoveList – find new book recommendations based on current favorites
Business, Investing, & Legal
- Business Source Complete – market research, industry reports, and company profiles
- Legal Information Reference Center – legal guides and e-books, including Nolo Press titles
- Small Business Reference Center – business plans, industry information, and business e-books from Nolo Press
- ThomasNet – suppliers, source products, and CAD drawings of industrial products
- Bay Area Consumers’ Checkbook – Checkbook surveys consumers and evaluates the quality and prices of local services and products and reports its findings online.
- Consumer Reports Magazine – search individual issues by date on the right-hand side of the page or click on “Search within this publication” to enter a keyword search.
- Ancestry Genealogy Search – billions of records and photographs. In-library use only.
- AHFS Consumer Medication Information – a trusted source and recognized standard for patient drug information in lay language (in English and Spanish)
- Alt Health Watch – offers complimentary, holistic, and integrative approaches to health care and wellness
- Consumer Health Complete – articles from newspapers, magazines, reference books, and encyclopedias on all areas of health and wellness from mainstream to alternative
- Health Source – Consumer Edition – magazine articles from consumer health magazines such as Harvard Health Letter, Prevention, and many more
- Health Source – Nursing/Academic Edition – articles from scholarly, peer-reviewed, academic journals covering all the medical disciplines
- Merck Manuals Online – one of the world’s most widely used medical information resource in 9 languages for professionals and consumers
- Brainfuse Adult Learning Center – resume writing help, job site resources, high school equivalency and US Citizenship preparation (in English and Spanish)
- JobScout – training to help you find a job online (in English and Spanish)
- Mango Languages – learn conversation skills for popular languages
- Brainfuse HelpNow– homework help for all ages, subject skill-building, writing lab, standardized test center (in English and Spanish)
- Driving-Tests.org – free California DMV practice tests and guidebooks for cars, motorcycles, and commercial licenses (in English and Spanish)
- Lynda.com – professional tutorials to learn computer, software, and creative applications; business and leadership skills, and more
Newspapers and Magazines
- Academic Search Complete – full text magazine, newspaper and scholarly journal articles on every subject
- California Digital Newspaper Collection – digitized California newspapers from 1846 onward
- MasterFile Premiere – thousands of magazines, journals, and newspapers including National Geographic, Consumer Reports, and Mother Jones
- Newspaper Source Plus – 1,000 newspapers including the New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, and Washington Post
- New York Times Online – Unlimited free access to NYTimes.com, the digital version of The New York Times. Note: You will need to log in or create a NYTimes.com account. More info.
- ProQuest Newspapers – 500 newspapers including the Marin IJ, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and Washington Post
- Zinio – read hundreds of popular magazines right from your screen, tablet, or smartphone (help)
- Virtual Reference Library – dozens of titles to help with research in all subjects