10 Things You May Not Know You Can Do at the Library for Free
Hi! This is Sarah, the Library Director here. My mother took us to the public library a lot when we were children. I remember flipping through picture books, and then later chapter books–carefully choosing the five items I was allowed to check out at a time. Libraries were a magical place with more books than I could ever hope to read. When I was in middle school, a trip to our branch library revealed a brand new collection–music cassette tapes! I was blown away! I had no ideas libraries could have more than books and then started checking out music and books together. Then came computers, CDs, wifi…on and on.
Libraries often have resources that we don’t think they will have. Here are the 10 best things your San Rafael Public Library has that you just might not know about. Best thing about all of them? They’re free to you with your library card.
(1) Download eBooks from one of our eBooks collections including thousands of new bestsellers for every age group. And yes, they work on the Kindle 🙂
(2) Place a hold on almost any material and have it delivered to a library branch of your choice–anywhere in Marin!
(3) Print out free and discounted museum and zoo passes using Discover and Go. Tons of places all over the bay area, just waiting to be explored!
(4) Attend free classes on topics such as job skills and how to download items from the library’s collection to an e-reader or smart device. Last year the two locations of the San Rafael Public Library offered more than 1,400 programs with a total attendance of 35,000.
(5) Access lynda.com ‘s library of instructional videos teaching business, technical & creative skills. Thousands of courses with tens of thousands of video tutorials.
(6) Learn a new language using Mango, online language-learning services covering dozens of languages.
(7) Research your family history with the library’s subscription to Ancestry.com. No need to pay for your own subscription–just come into one of our two libraries and use ours for free for as long as you like.
(8) Borrow 50 books, 5 books on CD, 15 DVDs, and 10 music CDs at a time — the limits per card. You better bring a big bag to tote that home in!
(9) Let us bring the library to you. Outreach Services brings the library experience to a person who is home-bound, in senior housing, living with disabilities, living in transition, etc.
(10) Read digital versions of current magazines using Zinio. There are hundreds of magazines to view on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.