These resources are accessible from anywhere with your library card.
E-Resources for Elementary Students
E-Resources for Middle & High School Students
Business, Investing, & Legal
- ThomasNet – suppliers, source products, and CAD drawings of industrial products
- Consumer Product Information Database (CPID) – A consumer guide that provides easy-to-understand information on the potential health effects of more than 2,000 ingredients contained in more than 14,000 common household products used around the home.
- NYT Wirecutter – similar to Consumer Reports, The New York Time’s Wirecutter is a product review resource. Recommendations are made through vigorous reporting, interviewing, and testing by teams of veteran journalists, scientists, and researchers.
- Ancestry Genealogy Search – billions of records and photographs.
- ClinicalTrials.gov – Linking patients to medical research. This website gives information to the public about studies in which new drugs, diagnostic procedures, vaccines and experimental therapies are tested in people to see if they are safe and effective.
- Genetics Home Reference – Your guide to understanding genetic conditions.
- Household Products Database – A consumer guide that provides easy-to-understand information on the potential health effects of more than 2,000 ingredients contained in more than 14,000 common household products used around the home.
- MedlinePlus.gov – A free, comprehensive, authoritative, up-to-date health information Web site from the world’s largest medical library, the National Library of Medicine of the National Institutes of Health.
- Merck Manuals Online – one of the world’s most widely used medical information resource in 9 languages for professionals and consumers
Jobs, Careers, Learning, and Veterans’ Resources
- Brainfuse JobNow & VetNow – Resume and interview tips, live coaching, resume templates, job and career resources. Teen and Adult learning content (GED) and live assistance in resume/cover letter writing, U.S. citizenship prep, MS Office Essential Skills Series, and more! Also support tools and resources for Veterans.
- Mango Languages – learn conversation skills for popular languages
- Archives Unbound – Password is “sanrafael”. Topically-focused digital collections of historical documents that support the research and study needs of scholars and students at the college and university level.
- Bookish Resources for Teachers – Book lists, lesson plans, author interviews and more.
- Brainfuse – Learning resources for all levels: elementary through grad school and adult. Help for ESL, US Citizenship, MS Office, tutoring, writing lab.
- Britannica School Edition – Learn about any subject with content for all grades and all reading abilities K-12. Find articles, images, videos, audio clips, primary sources, maps, research tools, and recommended Web sites.
- Britannica Escolar – Britannica en español.
- Driving-Tests.org – free California DMV practice tests and guidebooks for cars, motorcycles, and commercial licenses (in English and Spanish)
- O’Reilly Learning – Access to 35K+ books, 30K+ hours of video, curated learning paths, case studies, interactive tutorials, audio books, and O’Reilly conference videos about computer science, programming, engineering, data science, and more.
- ProQuest Academic – Combination of several databases including Coronavirus Research Database, eBook Central, eLibrary , Global Newsstream, LA Times, Publicly Available Content Database, SIRS Discoverer, and SIRS Issues Researcher.
- School & Educators Complete – eBook subscription database (over 12,000 titles) to support multiple subject areas (English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology). (Grades 9+, possibly some content for Middle School, also includes professional development content for faculty)
Newspapers, Magazines, Journals
- NEW! Overdrive magazine collection – hundreds of popular magazines are now available for checkout on the Libby Overdrive app! Enjoy the convenience of reading your favorite books and magazines on the easy to use Libby app. Please note that RBDigital is now part of Overdrive and will be discontinued on March 31, 2021. Please contact us if you need assistance making the transition to Libby.
- California Digital Newspaper Collection – digitized California newspapers from 1846 onward
- JSTOR Open Content – explore scholarly/academic content on JSTOR that is open to everyone, everywhere. Search thousands of free journal articles and open access book chapters.
- Marin Independent Journal Collection (Newsbank) – high quality, easy to read image editions of the Marin IJ. Also includes extensive text edition archive.
- New York Times Online – Unlimited free access to a NYTimes.com, the digital version of The New York Times. Note: You will need to create or log into a “library access” NYTimes.com account. Detailed instructions
- Newsbank’s Access World News – comprehensive collection of reliable news sources covering a wide array of topics and issues. Includes image and text editions of the Marin Independent Journal and the San Francisco Chronicle.
- ProQuest Newspapers – 500 newspapers including the Marin IJ, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and Washington Post
- RBdigital (formerly Zinio) – Please note: RBDigital is now part of Overdrive/Libby. Please contact us if you need assistance making the transition to our Overdrive magazine collection using Libby.
- San Francisco Chronicle Collection (Newsbank) -high quality, easy to read image editions of the San Francisco Chronicle. Also includes extensive image and text edition archive.
- Washington Post unlimited access for San Rafael residents only. Sign in with this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and use the password: SRPLguest
- Hoopla – streaming movies, music, and TV as well as downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks with no holds and no waiting. (help)
- Kanopy – streaming movies – documentaries, independent, world, classic, early film, shorts, Criterion Collection, kids, and more. (help)