These resources are accessible from anywhere with your library card.
E-Resources for Elementary Students
E-Resources for Middle & High School Students
Business, Investing, & Legal
- ThomasNet – suppliers, source products, and CAD drawings of industrial products
- Household Products Database – A consumer guide that provides easy-to-understand information on the potential health effects of more than 2,000 ingredients contained in more than 14,000 common household products used around the home. -similar to Consumer Reports, New York Time’s Wirecutter is a product review resource. Recommendations are made through vigorous reporting, interviewing, and testing by teams of veteran journalists, scientists, and researchers.
- NYT Wirecutter – similar to Consumer Reports, The New York Time’s Wirecutter is a product review resource. Recommendations are made through vigorous reporting, interviewing, and testing by teams of veteran journalists, scientists, and researchers.
- Ancestry Genealogy Search – billions of records and photographs.
- ClinicalTrials.gov – Linking patients to medical research. This website gives information to the public about studies in which new drugs, diagnostic procedures, vaccines and experimental therapies are tested in people to see if they are safe and effective.
- Genetics Home Reference – Your guide to understanding genetic conditions.
- Household Products Database – A consumer guide that provides easy-to-understand information on the potential health effects of more than 2,000 ingredients contained in more than 14,000 common household products used around the home.
- MedlinePlus.gov – A free, comprehensive, authoritative, up-to-date health information Web site from the world’s largest medical library, the National Library of Medicine of the National Institutes of Health.
- Merck Manuals Online – one of the world’s most widely used medical information resource in 9 languages for professionals and consumers
- JobScout – Training to help you find a job online (in English and Spanish)
- Brainfuse JobNow & VetNow – Resume and interview tips, live coaching, resume templates, job and career resources. Also support tools and resources for Veterans.
- Mango Languages – learn conversation skills for popular languages
- Archives Unbound – Password is “sanrafael”. Topically-focused digital collections of historical documents that support the research and study needs of scholars and students at the college and university level.
- Bookish Resources for Teachers – Book lists, lesson plans, author interviews and more.
- Brainfuse – Learning resources for all levels: elementary through grad school and adult. Help for ESL, US Citizenship, MS Office, tutoring, writing lab.
- Britannica School Edition – Learn about any subject with content for all grades and all reading abilities K-12. Find articles, images, videos, audio clips, primary sources, maps, research tools, and recommended Web sites.
- Britannica Escolar – Britannica en español.
- Driving-Tests.org – free California DMV practice tests and guidebooks for cars, motorcycles, and commercial licenses (in English and Spanish)
- ProQuest Academic – Combination of several databases including Coronavirus Research Database, eBook Central, eLibrary , Global Newsstream, LA Times, Publicly Available Content Database, SIRS Discoverer, and SIRS Issues Researcher.
- School & Educators Complete – eBook subscription database (over 12,000 titles) to support multiple subject areas (English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology). (Grades 9+, possibly some content for Middle School, also includes professional development content for faculty)
Newspapers, Magazines, Journals
- California Digital Newspaper Collection – digitized California newspapers from 1846 onward
- JSTOR Open Content – explore scholarly/academic content on JSTOR that is open to everyone, everywhere. Search thousands of free journal articles and open access book chapters.
- New York Times Online – Unlimited free access to NYTimes.com, the digital version of The New York Times. Note: You will need to log in or create a NYTimes.com account. More info.
- ProQuest Newspapers – 500 newspapers including the Marin IJ, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and Washington Post
- RBdigital (formerly Zinio) – read hundreds of popular magazines right from your computer, or get the RBdigital App for you tablet, or smartphone (help)
- Washington Post unlimited access for San Rafael residents only.
- Hoopla – streaming movies, music, and TV as well as downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks with no holds and no waiting. (help)
- Kanopy – streaming movies – documentaries, independent, world, classic, early film, shorts, Criterion Collection, kids, and more. (help)