Tools for Democracy
1100 E Street
Come and learn how to be a more effectively engaged citizen – all ages are welcome!
We’ll talk about common tools – ranging from the technological to the social – used by community members and organizations to engage with our fellow citizens, cities, counties, and states.
- collaboratively writing op-eds to the newspaper
- gathering signatures for a petition
- understanding how city council and committee meetings are run
- secure communicating with each other
- mobilizing large groups of people and individuals into collective action
…as well as any questions you might have.
Facilitators, Simon Vansintjan and Lisa Doering are both active participants in San Rafael (and Marin’s) grassroots movements. They cumulatively have decades of experience working with small local and national organizations, as well as in the workplace and the home. They believe that learning together and sharing knowledge is one of the best ways to get better and to build a more democratic society.
They are associated with Marin Environmental Housing Collaborative, Showing up for Racial Justice Marin, Democratic Socialists of America, Marin Organizing Committee, and ICE Out of Marin.